Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Look out the Snowpocalypse is coming!!!

Another week started off with a 90 minute delay and with the thought of a snow day looming over our heads I started off the week prepared for whatever may come my way...which apparently is the Snowpocalypse!!! I am not sure about everyone else but I am ready for some warmer weather, we've gotten more snow here in New Jersey in the past 2 months than we do during an average winter...and there is still more coming! Yikes!

I was really excited for the lesson that I was going to be teaching on Monday. The lesson included using a graphing website and uploading the homework and uploading it to edmodo. I was psyched because this was the first time I was going to be doing something "technological" by myself! I was also nervous because due to the previous delays we kept pushing the time in the computer lab back because we wanted to give the students as much time as possible with this project and a chance to really get to explore the technology we were doing. After delaying the activity for about 3 days Dr. McLean and I decided that it was time to get the project done and that I would use the shortened period to demo the website and the uploading process for edmodo. I was fairly confident with the way my lesson went however I felt really rushed to get all the information in within the 20 minute time frame. I would have liked to have more time with the students I think that it really would have helped answer a lot of the email questions I was getting later on that evening. I learned that even if you provide written instructions and verbal instructions along with a demo sometimes the students still need guidance with what they are doing. Also shortened periods are not ideal for introducing the technology concept, however weather and other crazy events are unpredictable and as a teacher you are constantly adapting no matter what. Teacher adaptation should really be a super power or an art form, I am learning very quickly how to think on my feet and change things with the snap of my fingers! It is still challenging for me to do and I am not the greatest at it yet but it is a skill that I also hope to keep working on and add to my weekly goals list. 

I also completed a lesson the jobs within the agriculture industry. I had two different video clips to show the students. Then it happened...as we were watching "Dirty Jobs" Mike Rowe said "my a$$ is hanging out!" I WANTED TO DIE!!!! I was so mortified. I had previewed that video clips time and time again. I have no idea how I did not catch that. The students did not seem to notice but I could not stop freaking out on the inside. I cannot believe that I never caught that wording before! I know next time that I should listen a lot more carefully to the languaging of the video!

My favorite lesson this week, was the one that I got to do with my 8th graders. We talked about the history of agriculture and I had them put their art skills to the test. Each student was to create a mini poster of a date in US Agriculture History. The poster had to include the date, a description of the event, and a picture depicting the event. My first section was so quiet, I felt like I literally had to drag information from them, and I felt like I rushed through the lesson because as much as I was probing them to answer and make them think, and randomly call on them, I could not get anything out of them. The second section was much more interactive and really engaged in conversation. I thought it was really interesting to see the class dynamics between the first class (6 students) vs my second class of (9 students) those 3 students really do make a difference. I was really happy with the results and quality of art work I received from the students. My students seemed to really enjoy what we were doing because A LOT of them like to draw and doodle. When I told them we were going to hang them in the hallway and make the timeline they all seemed really excited and I think it even changed how some of them felt about the project!





Examples of students' work!!

I also introduced The Google Boards this week! I am so excited for these. This idea was discovered on Pinterest and it is a way for students to ask questions about topics being learned in class or something that they are just generally curious about. The students can post the questions to the board at the end of class each day. On Fridays I am going to take all the questions down, review them, and post the questions in their class groups on edmodo. Over the weekend students will have the chance to research and answer the questions. I am calling them "Weekend Web Wonders." I am going to keep track of the questions that students answer. Each time they answer a question correctly they will receive a small amount of extra credit (0.5 pts of extra credit per question they answer correctly!) At the end of the month I will tally up the points they earn and will add it to their grade. I have one for my 7th grade and 8th grade classes. So far the 7th graders are taking complete advantage of it! I am so excited to keep track of the progress and how well The Google Board works. So far so good! The Weekend Web Wonders start this week too! I cannot wait to report back on them!


The inspiration for the Google Board! 

This week I was also proud of how well I handled my classroom management skills and my questioning/ direction giving. Although it is not "perfect" yet I can notice myself getting better and better each day. I am also working on my wait time as well. It is hard for me to "wait." I feel panicked when there is a prolonged period of silence sometimes. I feel like the students are not following or engaged in what I am saying. I know they are processing what I am asking and saying but it can be a little unnerving. I find myself counting to 10 in my head before I probe them with other questions. This seems to be working because it gives me a few seconds to think of clarification questions to ask the students. I know this is something that a lot teachers struggle with and wonder how some of them get through the awkward silence.


Last but not least we have our Lucky the Ducky adventures for the week:

Lucky traveled to our FFA Poster Making for National FFA Week and our FFA Showcase meeting this week. He also blogged about his own experiences in the class and even survived the Snowpocalypse to make it to Penn State for the first Student Teaching seminar! He has had a very busy week but next week is going to be filled with even more fun filled FFA things! Stay Tuned!


Lucky enjoys blogging too! Check out the Northern Burlington Ducks Blog (link to come soon!)



Lucky helping to spread the word about National FFA Week with poster making!!

Inspirational Quote of the Week:


No comments:

Post a Comment