Saturday, October 19, 2013

Did I just have an "ahha moment?!"

Today I attended Project Learning Tree out at Shaver's Creek. First let me say just how much I fall in LOVE with Shaver's Creek each time I go there. The people are so amazing, the woods are so peaceful, and I always learn something really cool!

I could just tell that today was going to be a good day! As I pulled into my parking spot, I looked over at my roommate Jess and I said "oh my gosh look that's Poison Ivy in front of the car!" I know eww Poison Ivy, right?! However, I had just learned how to identify it a few weeks before in my Sci Ed 455 class, that takes place at Shaver's Creek. I actually identified something! Me! Never in a million years did I think I would be able to identify something in nature! It was such an amazing feeling. I also felt so accomplished when we practiced a species log. I was able to help others identify trees and plants and explain why it was a certain plant all because I have been going to class! This was so huge for me!

As I sat there listening to George talk about all his experiences and where he has gone, it hit me! I am pretty sure I had that "ahha moment" and found out what I might want to do for the rest of my life. Let's be honest, it really is not secret that I have been flip flopping around with what I want to do and today I think I may have found my calling. As I listened to George talk and teach I thought to myself "wow, wouldn't it be so amazing if I could do something like this and teach in an informal setting like this?" I began to think about how I could still teach, yet combine this new found passion for nature!

Okay, I get it you guys are all like, this is awesome but what are you actually going to do?! Nothing is 100% set in stone but my idea for an end goal would be to graduate and hopefully get a job with the local zoo or nature center to gain field experience and save up for grad school. Get my degree in either RPTM or Environmental Education. After grad school, I would hopefully get a job as an extension educator at a nature center where I can travel around and teach children about the importance of nature and conservation....and of course the really awesome animals!!!!

I am sure my idea will change tomorrow, but for right now I think it is pretty awesome! I have seriously never been this excited or inspired for a possible career path! Here's to hoping this could fit into my future!!! Stay tuned because I will be sharing more on this...eventually!!! :)

Remember: "EVERYTHING you can IMAGINE is real!"

No comments:

Post a Comment