Saturday, October 5, 2013

Individualized Teaching Techniques = Mind Blowing!

After reading the assigned chapter for this week my only reaction is that I am totally mind blown! I knew that there were millions of different techniques for individual work in the classroom, but actually reading about some of them and learning how you should put them into practice was really interesting for me. I must say that I am still a little confused on some of them but I know we will be discussing them in class which will really help. I was especially interested in the idea of teaching students how to create a "proper notebook." I had no idea that there was a technique behind it. Going through school my teachers always told us to "take notes the way that works best for us" and I always found myself writing down way too much information and suffering from MAJOR hand cramps because I could not decide what was important and what was not. I think that giving the students the foundation skills of how they can decide what is important for them to write down would be really beneficial, this way students can focus more in the moment and less on "oh my gosh I have to get all of this down because Ms. Rigg never tells us what is on the test and this could be important!"

The other technique that I would like to learn more about was the Information, Assignment, and Skill sheets. I found them to all be beneficial and useful but how to do you know when you are more so relying on them rather than using them as an "aid" to what you are already teaching? Maybe I am over thinking that idea a little bit however, it is something that I am curious about. I do not want to be that teacher that relies on the packets. I want to really captivate my students and make sure that the handouts and worksheets that they receive are an added bonus. 

I know that we are going to be working through these in class and I am really excited to learn more about them and dig deeper into each teaching technique! I think that they can be skills that could really help us as student teachers next semester.

No comments:

Post a Comment