Friday, April 25, 2014

Getting Closer to Closing one Chapter and beginning another:

Over these past 15 weeks I feel that I grown so much. I walked into Northern Burlington County Regional Middle School feeling nervous and not sure what to expect from this experience. I had so many questions running through my mind, “are the students going to like me?” “How am I going to do this?” I had so many thoughts buzzing around my head. When I first started teaching I was nervous and I fumbled a lot with my lessons. As the days passed I became more comfortable and everything seemed to start coming a little more natural to me.
I began to shift the focus of my lessons onto wildlife and environmental sciences, something that I am so passionate about. I also made sure that incorporated “Place Based Education” in my lessons as well. I felt like I took my students on a journey about what was around us, here, in New Jersey. We talked about native and invasive species, reptiles, mammals, birds, insects, and so much more. As we talked about our “place” our New Jersey, I realized just how much I knew and could tell my students. Talking about wildlife and the environment came so naturally to me. It was really amazing to know the feeling of being able to answer a challenging question that a student had.
I also had my struggles with my student teaching experience as well. In the beginning I would only teach to one side of the room. It was the weirdest thing and I have no idea why I would do it. It took a lot for me to work on that skill and I was finally able to correct it. Classroom management was also an area that I know I personally struggled with; I struggled constantly with the question “is that something I should correct?” I was so thankful that Dr. McLean helped me work on that skill as well. I know that I still need some work on it but I know it will come with time. I worked hard on my lesson plans to make sure that they were the best they could be. Sometimes my lessons could have been better and if I had the chance to do them over again I would change some things to make it more concise and there were lessons where I could have added more interactive pieces.  Lastly one thing that I know I need to continue working on is making that meaningful connection to real life for my students. I could tell that I hit the nail on the head with some lessons and not so much with others. I also think that the more I “practice” the more this will come naturally and the more I teach the easier this will become for me to incorporate as well.
The top 10 things I will take away from this experience and some advice to future student teachers:
1.       Lecture, although easiest, may not be your best friend…especially with middle schoolers.
2.      Be prepared for whatever students say, sometimes they will say the weirdest things and sometimes you just have to go with it (unless it inappropriate!)
3.      Students really enjoy youtube clips that go along with what you are teaching. Even if it is a 30 second clip that depicts what you are talking about, the information will stick with them much more.
4.      You will really get to know your FFA members, they will be the students that you will connect with first because you see them most often
5.      Don’t be afraid to step out of your comfort zone and do something BOLD and CREATIVE in one of your lessons, maybe it’s a game, new type of lecture, notes, etc. make it different
6.      Students would rather have interactive lessons; get them out of their seats and moving around…sitting is BORING!
7.      Sometimes you just have to laugh  with your students
8.     Own up to your mistakes!
9.      Get involved with the school. Participate in spirit weeks, pep rallies, assemblies, and go to some activities that your students are involved in, help out with the committees your teacher is involved with. It will make your time more fun.
10.  HAVE FUN! Your experience is what you make of it, make it positive, make it real, and enjoy it while it lasts because it will be over quickly!
I think that my student teaching experience has opened my eyes to the world of FFA as well. Having not had the chance to be in an agriculture program I was only able to see the world of agriculture education from the 4-H standpoint growing up. Everything I have learned about FFA I have learned in college. I did not even know what it was until I walked into my AEE 100 class fall semester Junior year. I knew FFA existed but I had no idea what they did or how important they were to the agriculture industry. Through my experience I have been able to work with some amazing dedicated students. They welcomed me with open arms, allowed me to help them and work hand in hand to complete their goals for the year. I was able to help with fundraising, CDE events, and SAE visits; it really gave me a chance to get my feet wet and get a taste of everything FFA. I think I have made an impact on them because they have been threatening to not let me leave, throw me in the closet, and they also promised to “feed and water me,” and they keep asking me if I am going to come back. I cannot help but smile. It is amazing how much you can help a student in such a short time working with them.
I also have to say a HUGE thank you to Dr. McLean. She has been such an amazing mentor throughout this whole experience. She has challenged me to step out of my comfort zone, provided me with constructive and positive feedback, and helped me to become a part of the Northern Burlington Middle School family. We have had so many laughs and a lot of fun while on FFA trips and in the classroom each day. I am so thankful that NBC was suggested to me last year as a potential place to student teach. I feel like it was the perfect fit for me. I also want to say thank you to Mrs. Sankey-Rice. She has been such a great University Supervisor she has also made such a great mentor for me as well, giving me great suggestions and making sure I was on track. Finally, I have to thank Dr. Foster and Dr. Ewing for all of their support and providing me with the experience of a lifetime over the past 2 years. All of my supervisors, mentors, and professors have really pushed me and made me reach higher for my goals. They have made me determined to succeed. I feel like I truly have been provided with an experience that no one else will ever get to have in another college Agriculture Education program. I have been able to travel to different places, attend different conferences, and do things that I never thought I would get to do in college.



My time as an undergrad is rapidly coming to a close. As I take off the cap and gown and put on the alumni hat I will always remember the values and information that I have gained over my last 4 years. I am leaving college as a totally different person than I was 4 years ago. I have had so many experiences that have shaped me and mold me and help me discover what I want to do. Although I will not be going into the classroom right away, I will be finding the perfect classroom for me eventually. Right now I think that my classroom needs to be nontraditional because I want to bring those extra skills and information to my future classroom students some day. I also think that grad school may be in my future as well. As this chapter closes and I begin another one, I can only hope that the next adventure will be as great as this one has been. I feel so blessed to call everyone I have met in my major a friend and a colleague. I know that we will all find “adventure out there…somewhere, someday, somehow.” As I walk across the stage on May 11th, I know that looking back all of the hard work, determination, and stressful hours of preparation will have all been worth



No comments:

Post a Comment