Sunday, September 29, 2013

Cooperative Learning, Field Trips, and More Oh My!

First I would like to say that the more I keep reading about it the more I am becoming interested in the topic of cooperative learning. I thought the reading was very interesting and I especially enjoyed the part about setting up boundaries and all the ways you could do that. I also thought that the flow chart was very helpful in especially for when I want to use cooperative learning in the classroom. There are many important things to keep in mind and I thought that the chart laid it out well for us. It is important to remember....


  1. How many learners do I want in each group?
  2. Do I want my groups to be similar or different?
  3. Are the materials in my room/is my room set up for group activity?
  4. How can I facilitate learning through group activity?
  5. What did my learners accomplish?
I think that cooperative learning can take place almost anytime but I do think it is a great way to debrief and unpack from a field trip! Which brings me to the next reading on Effective Field Trips! Who doesn't LOVE Field Trips?!? They are a fun and engaging way to get students to really experience the topic that you are teaching them, if done correctly. I always liked the teachers that took us on field trips and asked to reflect on what we learned when we got back or had us complete a scavenger hunt while we were there. I felt that those trips were the most memorable and the best use of my time. Of course I was also excited to miss a day of school, but I still wanted to learn while I was experiencing cool stuff! I have a feeling I was a rare breed of student on field trip days but that's neither here nor there. Planning effective field trips is something that we should all learn how to do, the trips we take our students on should help enhance what we have already taught them. The content you teach them should help them to facilitate, engage in conversation, and interact with each other on the field trip. 

While on field trips you will want your students to ask effective questions. Well, okay we want them to ask effective questions ALL THE TIME which means we need to set them up and help to facilitate effective questions. We can ask a question such as "Why do you think this reaction happened?" "What would you change if you were to conduct this experiment?" etc. 

Connecting the three areas along with the FFA LifeKnowlege lessons can really help your students make connections and help make their experience in their classroom more meaningful.



No comments:

Post a Comment