Sunday, September 22, 2013

Weekly Writing #1

After reading all the assigned reading for this week I began to unpack and digest all the information that I learned. Although I learned something different from each reading I learned some main points that I think will really help to further my journey toward student teaching.
The first piece of knowledge that I really related with was the concept of “E-Moments.” I really found it interesting on how simple it seems to put an engaging moment into each lesson every day. Not only that having E-Moments in each lesson helps the teacher to reach and touch on Gardner’s Theory of Multiple Intelligences. E-Moments can be done in a variety of different ways and can be used to reach all different types of students. Since students learn different ways E-Moments could include movement for those who learn by moving, or critical thinking for those whole like to think problems out, etc. The idea of E-Moments also allows for the teacher to assess how the lesson is going because he/she can use these engaging moments to decide if they need to go over a topic again or can move on to the next piece of the instruction. E-Moments are really a win-win all the way around! 
Another important piece of information that I have taken away from the readings was how important it is, as teachers, to keep our end goals in mind as we progress forward. Goals can be as a complex as making sure the whole class understands a certain lesson or as simple as getting through the lesson and assigning the homework for that day. (okay well that may not be the best example because we all need to make sure we do that everyday, but we know that it is something that has to be accomplished so there is no reason it cannot be a small goal!) 
Assessment is also something that we as teachers should be thinking about constantly. We need to ask ourselves: How are we going to assess our class today to make sure they are learning what needs to be learned. Effective ways for assessing a class can be done by having the students: explain, interpret, apply, and use perspective, empathy, and self-knowledge as a few examples. I think that students constantly think the only way for them to be assessed is through exams and quizzes and I think that as teachers we should be willing to find other ways to make assessments fun and to take the pressure off the students so they do not feel that it’s “do or die” when it comes to testing. Although it is imperative that we do use exams and quizzes throughout the students’ learning experiences in your class it should not be the main form of evaluation. By using assessment on a daily basis and lesson by lesson as a teacher we can gauge where our students are at in terms of comprehension and what areas we need to spend more time teaching. 
Finally, the last thing that my fellow colleagues and I need to keep in mind as we continue this journey to student teaching is how to become an effective teacher. We need to remember to use clarity, variability, enthusiasm, be task-oriented, and be professional. It is our job to help students learn. “The Effective Teacher Affects Lives.” 
I know for me personally being an effective teacher is going to be one of my hardest challenges. I am eager to learn and practice my teaching skills to become the teacher that I have always wanted to be and one that will inspire others to hopefully one day choose the profession of Agriculture Education. It is going to be a long and challenging journey but I know that after I have read these materials I am inspired and excited to begin the path that will help me be successful! 

No comments:

Post a Comment