Sunday, September 22, 2013

Reading Reflection #1

Completing these moodle modules today gave me a lot to think about in terms of designing instruction. I did learn that I am not 100% sure with the whole idea of scaffolding and think that I would have a better understanding if I saw it played out in a classroom setting. I do think that scaffolding will be a very beneficial technique for me to use in the future as I student teach. 
I also learned a lot about standards and assessment anchors. I know that I need to look up my standards for NJ as that is where I will be student teaching and I am sure that we have different academic standards in my state than here in PA. I also liked the idea of the anchors because it seemed to be a way to build in small assessments to gauge how my students are doing and if I should go back and reteach that section. I feel that they could be something that I could add in and use before I transition into a new topic. 
Finally, learning about Universal Design for Learning was very interesting to me. I had never heard of it before but found it to be really interesting and neat to think about. Adding in UDL concepts to your instruction could be as simple as having your students write something down or by adding music into a lesson. Just something simple like writing or music can get a student to engage most of their brain. I think that is just mind blowing and so amazing to learn. Learning about UDLs also put all the crazy things, that my teachers and professors have made me do in previous years of school, into perspective. I’d like to think that they were making us do those things because they wanted us to tap into our brains more, although some of them I think made us do them because they wanted us to look silly. I think that using UDLs will be really important and I am going to try and incorporate them as much as I can as I start planning lessons for student teaching.

No comments:

Post a Comment